Monday, November 10, 2014

Grenoble...Family feeling, kebabs and beer.

I started out my two week vacation in Grenoble, France where I had spent 6 months with a host family back in 2011.  I had a great time; I was able to help out around the house, by cooking dinner, which was a huge help to my host sister and mother.  During the days, most of my time was spent perusing the town, eating Kebab, hiking up the bastille, and drinking my favorite French brewery’s beer.  Here are some pictures; they do most of the explaining.  Of course, my host family had to dress me up in a proper chef’s outfit. 
Nothing like a Fajita Chef in France!  They weren't spicy enough for host Grandpa Jacques.  Had to be careful of the kids with the spices.
 At the top of the Bastille after climbing it with a family friend Danielle from Alsace.  Now I have a place to stay in Alsace..SCORE!

 What a beautiful days in the Alps of France, looking at the Alps in Italy.  It's hard to see, but even though it was 65F, it snowed in the mountains the night before.  

At my favorite brewery, Brasserie Mandrin.  They are the only brewery that has a triple houblons or triple hops, which really means just hoppy enough to be an IPA ;), snobby from Seattle.  Lucille is coming everywhere with me.


 So clear, leaving the brewery and looking back at where I need to get back to, at the foot of those cliffs.  I took the tram and walked. Unfortunately the town has limited public transportation and especially while school is on vacation.


At the end of my visit, I was able to meet up again with my buddy Manish from Nepal to see his friend’s Nepalese restaurant in Grenoble.  I was surprised to see how many French people were eating there when we entered the restaurant at 10:30pm.  There were only 6 tables and each one was packed with people and the smell of curry met me right at the entrance.  His friend was kind enough to feed us for free after most of the patrons left at 11:20pm, this would be the 2nd time I have eaten in the Nepalese traditional style, only with hands.  The food and ambiance was really cool. Here are some pictures:



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your adventures Jack!!! Love that Master Chef apron!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, this is the third try to get a comment down. Finally actually logged in, youre welcome Google, fukkahs! ANyway, its spelled fageetahs, in case you don't know your english. Glad you are enhancing the local culture with our own indigeneous recipes. This thing has a spell checker but I am too lazy to find it. Anyway take care, and all the best from Tim and Neri suffering the indignities of Kauai till the steamroller called December is upon us.

    ReplyDelete